If you've installed iTunes on your computer, you probably installed Apple Software Update as well.
Starting this week, Apple has added the Safari web browser to Apple Software Update. What this means is
- If you have iTunes or Quicktime installed
- Apple Software Update will try to get you to install Safari by masquerading it as an update.
- Start the Apple Software Update program
- Make sure only Safari 3.1 is checked
- Click the Tools menu
- Choose "Ignore Selected Updates" from the menu
As a semi-official policy, VGMusic.com recommends the Firefox web browser on all platforms.